New Blog! And a statement.

I have been considering starting a gaming blog off and on for awhile now, weeks or months, I'm honestly not sure as my perception of time is not the best especially regards something I have only thought about as opposed to done or talked about.

For whatever reason, I finally decided to get off my proverbial ass and start a blog.

This happened concurrently with a controversy in the community regarding a well-known figure in the OSR blogspace. I think it is prudent to start off by saying a few things regarding that

I'm a white person. Until further notice, I'm a white man who is currently considering whether or not he/they may be some variant of agender/non-binary. So, either I'm a white man, or I'm a white person who 'codes' as a white man. I'm still figuring that out. Since I'm married to a woman, I pass as straight. I'm definitely not that, I'm bisexual. It only took me 30 years, but I did figure that part out.
The 'white' part is pretty unambigious. Thankfully part of my demographic identity is simple.

The reason I bring this up is that as someone who 'passes' as a cis-het white male, in a community dominated by the same I have a level of privilege within that space (and within society in general).

This isn't a social justice, or politics blog; this is a gaming blog.
I do think these issues are important.
I don't want my voice to potentially drown out the voices of others.
Beyond this post, I won't comment further on the current controversy.

Nick, of Papers Pencils, wrote a pretty similar post to mine and he considerately hyperlinked a few other articles in his post.



I believe women. I believe Mandy, Hannah, Jessica, and Vivka. Their abuser cannot debate, intimidate, or manipulate me into silence. There is no place for abusers among us. #AbuseIsNotAGame
Unfortunately, I know similar things will happen in the future.
My policy on those issues will be the same as here.
I'll share content posted by others, but that's going to be it.
This isn't because I don't care.
It's because I don't want to put a spotlight on myself when I am not the point.

I know that social justice fatigue is a thing that happens to people.
I want to avoid contributing to that as much as possible.

Sexist, racist, queerphobic, and other prejudicial, hateful comments will not be permitted. I won't debate or engage people who post it, I'll just delete it and block you.

If you're a reader here, just email me and I'll delete those sorts of comments.
There is no need for you to engage with any such commentary.

I want this to be a safe space.
Well, a safer space anyway, for a diverse gaming community.
Unfortunately, our world is not safe. I can't guarantee safety, but I'll do what I can here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Witches, Wizards, and Warlocks

Hypnophage

Underwater Adventures?