Best way to improve DMing skills?

I've read a lot of articles, blogs, and listened to a lot of podcasts on how to improve your DMing.
And honestly, I ended up mentally ingesting it, and not doing any of it.

The best way to be a better DM is to DM more often, talk to your players.
I am an inexperienced DM, admittedly, but my last two sessions of gaming having improved my skills more than any sessions I have run in the past simply because I relied on improv, and interacted with my players in a transparent fashion.

Comments

  1. This is very true. It's something of a running joke on most non-awful RPG forums that the answer to every question is "try talking to your players about it"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's also helpful to play in new groups -- or find some way of engaging with groups that *aren't* your usual players. Having variations in composition and group dynamic can help a lot when assessing overall GMing technique.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hypnophage

Witches, Wizards, and Warlocks

Underwater Adventures?